Search

.

Content

Friday, January 23, 2015

Shattered wood, broken strings - the guitar as a character

If someone says: “a guitar is an instrument”, they are correct accordingly to everyone, right? But what if instead of someone tells you that a guitar is just an instrument?
Obvious both you and I have seen a guitar, or some variation of it; but I tried to connect with the guitar presented in A Song of the Anxious not as an instrument but as a character. Indeed after reading some interviews and specially a Laura Marling interview about her and her father’s collection of guitars – here save the link for later and read it – I realize what I already feel, our instruments are not just instruments, they have some unique traces, unique qualities that the holder, and only the holder, recognize. I see this in a pen, a musician see it in his or her instrument.
Let us be back to something more real and less metaphorical. I went to the oxford dictionary in search of a meaning for guitar and:
guitar
Line breaks: gui¦tar
Pronunciation: /ɡɪˈtɑː 
  
/

Definition of guitar in English:

NOUN

stringed musical instrument, with a fretted fingerboard, typically incurved sides, and six or twelve strings, played by plucking or strumming with the fingers or a plectrum.
  
Good now I have a description of a Guitar! However it’s the way that adjective – “instrument” – that kept fixated on my mind. I said numerous of times: “I need an objective and that can relate to everyone”; but the question was how to do that?! It was then when in one of those moments that I have during my creative process that I understood it. But first let me explain how a “creative moment” of mine looks like: I am sited in a comfortable chair biting my pen, spinning around with the chair. And that was it! My pen! My instrument! I write with a pen I have found in my Grandmother’s drawer and I hardly feel comfortable writing with any other pen! It’s almost like I cannot pursue my thoughts with the traces of words with another pen, with another instrument!
It was in this moment that another definition was required and so it appeared:
instrument
Line breaks: in¦stru|ment
Pronunciation: /ˈɪnstrʊm(ə)nt 
  
/

Definition of instrument in English:

NOUN

A tool or implement, especially one for precision work
or
A means of pursuing an aim

As you will discover our little Katherine uses her guitar with such symbolism that it gains the importance of character in our story, it appears masquerade of unimportance at the first sight but it is that guitar – an heritage – that by being destroyed, destroys Katherine when she already was hanging by her fingernails at the edge of the cliff.
A lost artist with no instrument! Where to go and what to do? How can it be possible to live after losing something so precious, something that allows her to move towards her aim?  


You will find out where my pen took me in Katherine’s story. Don’t forget to help us because our story can help those whom aim is lost; doesn't help others feel good?

https://www.facebook.com/asongofanxious
https://twitter.com/songofanxious

0 comentários:

Post a Comment